The main message of Harmony Week is, everyone belongs in our Australian society.
Harmony Week’s message is such an important one to teach the next generation. It is no surprise that teachers all over Australia are looking for ways to implement lessons about this message in their classrooms.
As teachers, we know nothing is more valuable than teaching young students big concepts, like Harmony through literature.
We wanted to share some of our favourite picture books that will support lessons about harmony and belonging on or lead up to Harmony Week. All these books have a place on our own bookshelves at home because we think so highly of them.
1. This Love by Isabel Otter and Harriet Lynas
2. I’m Australian Too by Mem Fox
3. Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
4. The Hueys in the New Jumper by Oliver Jeffers
5. We are All Equal by P Crumble and Jonathan Bentley
6. I am Love by Susan Verde and Peter H Reynolds
7. A New Alphabet for Humanity by Leesa McGregor and Daniela Sosa
Books are a great way to kick off conversations and explore topics students may not always be familiar with. You could enjoy these books with students from Kindergarten all the way through to Year 6.
Want to save these ideas for later? Pin the image below.
If you are feeling time-poor and need more than a book to celebrate Harmony Week, we have print and go resources ready for you to implement in your classroom. Click your grade level below to take you there:
Or for a school wide approach click here!
Before you go, are you a new teacher?
Here at Rainbow Sky Creations, we are passionate about helping those teachers out there that are new to the profession. We have lots of exciting things available to help you navigate those first few years with a little more ease, calm, and confidence. Start here:
- Join our private Facebook Group exclusively for New Teachers here
- Read this blog post that features links to everything we have written especially for beginning teachers
- Grab our FREE ‘Yay, I’m a Teacher, Now What Do I do’ guide. We walk you through everything you need to do to get step up for a great year!